Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
A. The department shall design and implement a statewide reading initiative to improve reading proficiency in the state. The design of the reading initiative shall be based upon quality, scientifically based reading research that has been shown to improve reading proficiency and shall include the following:
(1) consistent assessment and evaluation of student reading levels;
(2) appropriate professional staff development to assist licensed school employees in the instruction of reading;
(3) extra time in the student's day or year for implementation of reading programs;
(4) rewards provided to teachers and other applicable licensed school employees in public schools that improve student reading proficiency; and
(5) criteria for public schools to establish an individualized reading plan for students who fail to meet grade level reading proficiency standards.
B. The department shall use national experts to work with the department to develop an immediate reading initiative and a long-term plan for sustained reading improvement.
C. The department shall involve school district personnel, especially licensed elementary reading specialists, parents and other interested persons in the design of the reading initiative.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Mexico Statutes Chapter 22. Public Schools § 22-13-1.3. Reading initiative; design - last updated May 06, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nm/chapter-22-public-schools/nm-st-sect-22-13-1-3/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.