Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
a. The “Innovation District Designation Program” is established within the New Jersey Commission on Science, Innovation and Technology. The purpose of the program is to encourage the development of innovation districts within New Jersey. The purpose of an innovation district is to promote the development or redevelopment of an area in a manner that facilitates collaboration between government, higher education institutions, and private enterprise.
b. The commission, in consultation with the Department of Labor and Workforce Development, the Department of Community Affairs, and the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, shall establish criteria for the designation of innovation districts. Criteria for innovation district designation shall include:
(1) the presence of a higher education institution;
(2) accessibility to mass transportation facilities and services; and
(3) zoning or a redevelopment plan that permits mixed-use development.
c. The commission shall establish an application form and procedure for municipalities to apply for designation of an area as an innovation district. An application shall:
(1) identify the boundaries of the proposed innovation district;
(2) identify one or more higher education institutions located, or committed to relocate, in whole or in part, within the proposed innovation district;
(3) identify existing and proposed mass transportation facilities and services located within or nearby the proposed innovation district;
(4) include an inventory of existing and proposed businesses, recreational facilities, public parks, and gathering spaces located within the proposed innovation district;
(5) include information concerning the walkability of the proposed innovation district;
(6) include a plan for the development or redevelopment of the proposed innovation district, which may include, but shall not be limited to, plans for:
(a) attracting businesses to locate within the district;
(b) the development of business incubation facilities or public meeting spaces;
(c) programming, events, and community building;
(d) marketing and outreach;
(e) improvements to public spaces;
(f) the development or redevelopment of housing; and
(g) the improvement of technology infrastructure, including, but not limited to, broadband improvements; and
(7) include any other information required by the commission.
d. The commission and the Department of Community Affairs shall publicize the Innovation District Designation Program, and provide links to the application form and procedure, on the Internet websites of the commission and the department.
e. A municipality may apply to the commission for designation of all or part of the municipality as an innovation district. Two or more municipalities may jointly apply for designation of an area as an innovation district. An application shall not be submitted unless authorized by adoption of a resolution of the governing body of the municipality, or, in the event of a joint application, the adoption of parallel resolutions by the governing bodies of the municipalities.
f. Within 60 calendar days of its receipt of a complete application for designation of an area as an innovation district, the commission shall approve, conditionally approve, or deny the application.
g. In consultation with the Department of Community Affairs and the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, the commission shall adopt guidance and standards for municipalities to promote innovation districts as places for businesses to locate. A municipality may advertise or otherwise use innovation district designation in accordance with the adopted guidance or standards.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Jersey Statutes Title 52. State Government, Departments and Officers 52 § 9X-10.1 - last updated February 19, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-52-state-government-departments-and-officers/nj-st-sect-52-9x-10-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?