Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
a. There is hereby established within the Department of Community Affairs an Office of Homelessness Prevention to coordinate among State and local agencies and private organizations that provide services to persons who are homeless or at risk for homelessness, and to implement a Statewide strategy to address homelessness.
b. The office shall be under the immediate supervision of a director, who shall be a person qualified by training and experience to direct the work of such office. The Commissioner of Community Affairs shall appoint the director, who shall serve at the pleasure of the commissioner. The director shall administer the work of the office under the direction of the commissioner and shall perform such other functions of the department as the commissioner may prescribe.
c. In addition to other functions, powers, and duties vested in the Department of Community Affairs by P.L.2019, c. 73 (C.52:27D-287.5 et al.) or by any other law, the Department of Community Affairs shall, through the Office of Homelessness Prevention:
(1) Collect, maintain, and make available information concerning persons who are homeless or at risk for homelessness, including demographics information, current services and resources available, the cost and availability of services and programs, and the met and unmet needs of this population. All entities that receive State, county, or municipal funding shall provide the office access to all data they maintain;
(2) Evaluate State and local services and resources and develop, implement, and revise, as necessary, a consolidated plan for addressing the needs of persons who are homeless or at risk for homelessness;
(3) Explore, compile, and disseminate information regarding public and private funding sources for State and local programs serving persons who are homeless;
(4) Assess and provide recommendations for coordinating the activities of State programs, including multi-State programs, and local coalitions for persons who are homeless and promote the effectiveness of programs addressing the needs of persons who are homeless;
(5) Convene meetings and workshops of State and local agencies, local coalitions and programs, and other stakeholders for developing and reviewing policies, services, activities, coordination, and funding of efforts to meet the needs of persons who are homeless, including training, counseling, and navigation services essential to enable persons who are homeless to make the transition to permanent housing; and
(6) Conduct or promote research on the effectiveness of programs addressing the needs of persons who are homeless.
d. All State, county, and municipal departments and agencies shall, upon request, make every reasonable effort to assist the Office of Homelessness Prevention in carrying out the office's functions, powers, and duties.
e. (1) On the effective date of P.L.2019, c. 73 (C.52:27D-287.5 et al.), the Office of Homelessness Prevention shall have access to all information in the Homeless Management Information System administered in the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency.
(2) The Homeless Management Information System, administered in the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency, including any personnel charged with administering and maintaining the Homeless Management Information System, may be transferred to the Office of Homelessness Prevention. If the Homeless Management Information System is transferred pursuant to this paragraph, all appropriations, grants, and other moneys available and to become available to the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency, which the agency uses for the maintenance and administration of the Homeless Management Information System, shall be transferred to the Office of Homelessness Prevention.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Jersey Statutes Title 52. State Government, Departments and Officers 52 § 27D-287.5 - last updated February 19, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-52-state-government-departments-and-officers/nj-st-sect-52-27d-287-5/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?