Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
a. The State Health Benefits Commission shall ensure that every contract purchased by the commission on or after the effective date of this act 1 that provides hospital or medical expense benefits shall provide coverage, without requiring any cost sharing, for the following preventive services:
(1) evidence-based items or services that have in effect a rating of “A” or “B” in the current recommendations of the United States Preventive Services Task Force;
(2) immunizations that have in effect a recommendation from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
(3) with respect to infants, children, and adolescents, evidence-informed preventive care and screenings provided for in the comprehensive guidelines supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration; and
(4) with respect to women, any additional preventive care and screenings not described in paragraph (1) as provided for in the comprehensive guidelines supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration.
b. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, nothing in this section shall:
(a) require a contract which has a network of providers to provide benefits for items or services described in subsection a. of this section that are delivered by an out-of-network provider; or
(b) preclude a contract which has a network of providers from imposing cost-sharing requirements for items or services described in subsection a. of this section that are delivered by an out-of-network provider.
(2) If a contract does not have in its network a provider who can provide an item or service described in subsection a. of this section, the contract shall cover the item or service when performed by an out-of-network provider, and shall not impose cost sharing with respect to that item or service.
c. (1) A contract shall provide coverage for an item or service described in subsection a. of this section for plan years that begin on or after the date that is one year after the date the recommendation or guideline is issued.
(2)(a) Except as provided in subparagraph (b) of this paragraph, a contract that is required to provide coverage for an item or service described in subsection a. of this section on the first day of a plan year shall provide coverage for that item or service through the last day of the plan year.
(b) The commissioner may remove a coverage requirement for an item or service during a plan year if the recommendation or guideline changes or is no longer described in subsection a. of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Jersey Statutes Title 52. State Government, Departments and Officers 52 § 14-17.29dd - last updated February 19, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-52-state-government-departments-and-officers/nj-st-sect-52-14-17-29dd/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?