Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
a. There is hereby established a mandatory education program to be known as the “Parents' Education Program.”
b. The program shall be designed to assist and advise divorced parents on issues concerning divorce, separation and custody. The program shall be made available twice a month. The program shall be administered by the Administrative Office of the Courts. The Assignment Judge shall appoint appropriate staff to act as a program representative or representatives, as necessary, for each county.
c. The purpose of the program shall be to promote cooperation between the parties and to assist parents in resolving issues which may arise during the divorce or separation process, including, but not limited to:
(1) Understanding the legal process and cost of divorce or separation, including arbitration and mediation;
(2) Understanding the financial responsibilities for the children;
(3) Understanding the interaction between parent and child, the family relationship and any other areas of adjustment and concern during the process of divorce or separation;
(4) Understanding how children react to divorce or separation, how to spot problems, what to tell them about divorce or separation, how to keep communication open and how to answer questions and concerns the children may have about the process;
(5) Understanding how parents can help their children during the divorce or separation, specific strategies, ideas, tools, and resources for assistance;
(6) Understanding how parents can help children after the divorce or separation and how to deal with new family structures and different sets of rules; and
(7) Understanding that cooperation may sometimes be inappropriate in cases of domestic violence.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Jersey Statutes Title 2A. Administration of Civil and Criminal Justice 2A § 34-12.3 - last updated February 19, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-2a-administration-of-civil-and-criminal-justice/nj-st-sect-2a-34-12-3/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.