New Jersey Statutes Title 2A. Administration of Civil and Criminal Justice 2A § 23C-3
Search New Jersey Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
a. Except as otherwise provided in subsection b. or c., this act shall apply to a mediation in which:
(1) the mediation parties are required to mediate by statute, court rule or administrative agency rule, or are referred to mediation by a court, administrative agency, or arbitrator;
(2) the mediation parties and the mediator agree to mediate in a record that demonstrates an expectation that mediation communications will be privileged against disclosure; or
(3) the mediation parties use as a mediator an individual who holds himself out as a mediator, or the mediation is provided by a person who holds itself out as providing mediation.
b. The act shall not apply to a mediation:
(1) relating to the establishment, negotiation, administration, or termination of a collective bargaining relationship or to any mediation conducted by the Public Employment Relations Commission or the State Board of Mediation;
(2) relating to a dispute that is pending under or is part of the processes established by a collective bargaining agreement, except that the act applies to a mediation arising out of a dispute that has been filed with a court or an administrative agency other than the Public Employment Relations Commission or the State Board of Mediation;
(3) conducted by a judge who may make a ruling on the case; or
(4) conducted under the auspices of:
(a) a primary or secondary school if all the parties are students; or
(b) a juvenile detention facility or shelter if all the parties are residents of that facility or shelter.
c. If the parties agree in advance in a signed record, or a record of proceeding so reflects, that all or part of a mediation is not privileged, the privileges under sections 4 through 6 of P.L.2004, c.157 (C.2A:23C-4 through C.2A:23C-6) shall not apply to the mediation or part agreed upon. Sections 4 through 6 of P.L.2004, c.157 (C.2A:23C-4 through C.2A:23C-6) shall apply to a mediation communication made by a person who has not received actual notice of the agreement before the communication is made.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Jersey Statutes Title 2A. Administration of Civil and Criminal Justice 2A § 23C-3 - last updated February 19, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-2a-administration-of-civil-and-criminal-justice/nj-st-sect-2a-23c-3/
Was this helpful?