Nebraska Revised Statutes Chapter 71. Public Health and Welfare § 71-3513. Rules and regulations; licensure; department; powers; duties; appeal
Search Nebraska Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) In any proceeding for the issuance or modification of rules or regulations relating to control of sources of radiation, the department shall provide an opportunity for public participation through written comments and a public hearing.
(2) In any proceeding for the denial of an application for a license or for the amendment, suspension, or revocation of a license, the department shall provide the applicant or licensee an opportunity for a hearing on the record.
(3) In any proceeding for licensing ores processed primarily for their source material content and management of byproduct material and source material mill tailings, or for licensing management of low-level radioactive waste, the department shall provide:
(a) An opportunity, after public notice, for written comments and a public hearing with a transcript;
(b) An opportunity for cross-examination; and
(c) A written determination of the action to be taken which is based upon findings included in the determination and upon evidence presented during the public comment period.
(4) In any proceeding for licensing ores processed primarily for their source material content and disposal of byproduct material and source material mill tailings, or for licensing management of low-level radioactive waste, the department shall prepare, for each licensed activity which has a significant impact on the occupational or public health and safety or the environment, a written analysis of the impact of such licensed activity. The analysis shall be available to the public before the commencement of the hearing and shall include:
(a) An assessment of the radiological and nonradiological impacts to the public health;
(b) An assessment of any impact on any waterway and ground water;
(c) Consideration of alternatives, including alternative sites and engineering methods, to the activities to be conducted; and
(d) Consideration of the long-term impacts, including decommissioning, decontamination, and reclamation of facilities and sites associated with the licensed activities and management of any radioactive materials which will remain on the site after such decommissioning, decontamination, and reclamation.
(5) The department shall prohibit any major construction with respect to any activity for which an environmental impact analysis is required by this section prior to completion of such analysis.
(6) Whenever the department finds that an emergency exists with respect to radiation requiring immediate action to protect occupational or public health and safety or the environment, the department may, without notice, hearing, or submission to the administrator, issue a regulation or order reciting the existence of such emergency and requiring that such action be taken as is necessary to meet the emergency. Notwithstanding any provisions of the Radiation Control Act, such regulation or order shall be effective immediately. Any person to whom such regulation or order is directed shall comply immediately, but on application to the department shall be afforded a hearing not less than fifteen days and not more than thirty days after filing of the application. On the basis of such hearing, the emergency regulation or order shall be continued, modified, or revoked within thirty days after such hearing, and the department shall mail the applicant a copy of its findings of fact and determination.
(7) Any final department action or order entered pursuant to subsection (1), (2), (3), or (6) of this section may be appealed, and the appeal shall be in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nebraska Revised Statutes Chapter 71. Public Health and Welfare § 71-3513. Rules and regulations; licensure; department; powers; duties; appeal - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ne/chapter-71-public-health-and-welfare/ne-rev-st-sect-71-3513/
Was this helpful?