Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
In this chapter:
1. A share or similar equity interest issued by a corporation, business trust, joint stock company, or similar entity is a security.
2. An “investment company security” is a security. “Investment company security” means a share or similar equity interest issued by an entity that is registered as an investment company under the federal investment company laws, an interest in a unit investment trust that is so registered, or a face-amount certificate issued by a face-amount certificate company that is so registered. “Investment company security” does not include an insurance policy or endowment policy or annuity contract issued by an insurance company.
3. An interest in a partnership or limited liability company is not a security unless it is dealt in or traded on securities exchanges or in securities markets, its terms expressly provide that it is a security governed by this chapter, or it is an investment company security. However, an interest in a partnership or limited liability company is a financial asset if it is held in a securities account.
4. A writing that is a security certificate is governed by this chapter and not by chapter 41-03, even though it also meets the requirements of that chapter. However, a negotiable instrument governed by chapter 41-03 is a financial asset if it is held in a securities account.
5. An option or similar obligation issued by a clearing corporation to its participants is not a security but is a financial asset.
6. A commodity contract, as defined in section 41-09-02, is not a security or a financial asset.
7. A document of title is not a financial asset unless paragraph 3 of subdivision j of subsection 1 of section 41-08-02 applies.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Dakota Century Code Title 41. Uniform Commercial Code § 41-08-03. (8-103) Rules for determining whether certain obligations and interests are securities or financial assets - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nd/title-41-uniform-commercial-code/nd-cent-code-sect-41-08-03/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.