Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this chapter:
1. “Business entity” has the same meaning as provided in section 26.1-26-02.
2. “Department” means the insurance department.
3. “Home state” means the state in which the principal place of residence or principal place of business of the public adjuster is located.
4. “Insured” means a person insured under the insurance policy against which the claim is made.
5. “Public adjuster” means a person that, for compensation, does the following:
a. Acts for or aids an insured in negotiating for or effecting the settlement of a first-party claim for loss or damage to real or personal property of the insured;
b. Advertises for employment as a public adjuster of first-party claims or otherwise solicits business or represents to the public the person is a public adjuster of first-party claims for loss or damage to real or personal property of an insured; or
c. Solicits the business of investigating or adjusting losses or of advising an insured about first-party claims for loss or damage to real or personal property of the insured.
6. “Uniform business entity application” means the uniform business entity application prescribed by the commissioner which conforms substantially to the uniform business entity application for resident and nonresident business entities adopted by the national association of insurance commissioners.
7. “Uniform individual application” means the uniform individual application prescribed by the commissioner which conforms substantially to the uniform application for individual adjuster licensing adopted by the national association of insurance commissioners.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Dakota Century Code Title 26.1. Insurance § 26.1-26.8-02. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nd/title-26-1-insurance/nd-cent-code-sect-26-1-26-8-02/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?