Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Unless denied licensure pursuant to this chapter, the commissioner shall issue a nonresident person a nonresident insurance producer license if:
a. The person is currently licensed as a resident and is in good standing in the person's home state;
b. The person has submitted the proper request for licensure and has paid the fees required by section 26.1-01-07;
c. The person has submitted or transmitted to the commissioner either the person's home state application for licensure or a completed uniform application; and
d. The person's home state awards nonresident insurance producer licenses to residents of this state on the same basis.
2. The commissioner may verify the insurance producer's licensing status through the insurance producer database maintained by the national association of insurance commissioners, its affiliates, or subsidiaries.
3. A nonresident insurance producer who moves from one state to another state or a resident insurance producer who moves from this state to another state shall file a change of address and provide certification from the new resident state within thirty days of the change of legal residence. A fee or license application is not required.
4. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, a person licensed as a surplus lines insurance producer in the person's home state is entitled to receive a nonresident surplus lines insurance producer license pursuant to subsection 1. Except as to subsection 1, nothing in this section otherwise amends or supersedes any provision of chapter 26.1-44.
5. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, a person licensed as a limited lines credit insurance or other type of limited lines insurance producer in the person's home state is entitled to receive a nonresident insurance producer license, pursuant to subsection 1, granting the same scope of authority as granted under the license issued by the insurance producer's home state. For the purpose of this subsection, limited lines insurance is any authority granted by the home state which restricts the authority of the license to less than the total authority prescribed in the associated major lines pursuant to section 26.1-26-11.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Dakota Century Code Title 26.1. Insurance § 26.1-26-20. Nonresident licensing - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nd/title-26-1-insurance/nd-cent-code-sect-26-1-26-20/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?