Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this Chapter, unless the context otherwise requires, the term:
(1) “Collector” means any person authorized to take possession, custody, or control of the personal property of the decedent for the purpose of executing the duties outlined in G.S. 28A-11-3.
(1a) “Devisee” means any person entitled to take real or personal property under the provisions of a valid, probated will.
(1b) “Estate proceeding” means a matter initiated by petition related to the administration, distribution, or settlement of an estate, other than a special proceeding. There may be more than one estate proceeding within the administration of a decedent's estate.
(2) “Foreign personal representative” means a personal representative appointed in another jurisdiction, including a personal representative appointed in another country.
(3) “Heir” means any person entitled to take real or personal property upon intestacy under the provisions of Chapter 29 of the General Statutes.
(4) “Mortgage” includes a deed of trust.
(4a) “Party,” in the context of a contested or uncontested estate proceeding pursuant to G.S. 28A-2-6, means a party joined as a petitioner or respondent.
(4b) “Person” means an individual; corporation; business trust; estate; trust; partnership; limited liability company; association; joint venture; government; governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality; public corporation; or any other legal or commercial entity.
(5) “Personal representative” includes both an executor and an administrator, but does not include a collector.
(6) Repealed by S.L. 2011-344, § 4, eff. Jan. 1, 2012.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 28A. Administration of Decedents' Estates § 28A-1-1. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-28a-administration-of-decedents-estates/nc-gen-st-sect-28a-1-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.