Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Medical records of individual patients shall be confidential and shall not be public records open to inspection. The State Center for Health Statistics may disclose medical records of individual patients which identify the individual described in the record only if:
(1) The individual described in the medical record has authorized the disclosure; or
(2) The disclosure is for bona fide research purposes. The Commission shall adopt rules providing for the use of the medical records for research purposes.
(b) The State Center for Health Statistics shall take appropriate measures to protect the security of health data collected by the Center, including:
(1) Limiting the access to health data to authorized individuals who have received training in the handling of this data;
(2) Designating a person to be responsible for physical security; and
(3) Developing and implementing a system for monitoring security.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 130A. Public Health § 130A-374. Security of health data - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-130a-public-health/nc-gen-st-sect-130a-374/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?