Skip to main content

North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 1. Civil Procedure § 1-47. Ten years

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Within ten years an action --

(1)?Upon a judgment or decree of any court of the United States, or of any state or territory thereof, from the date of its entry. ?No such action may be brought more than once, or have the effect to continue the lien of the original judgment.

(1a)?Upon a judgment rendered by a justice of the peace, from its date.

(2)?Upon a sealed instrument or an instrument of conveyance of an interest in real property, against the principal thereto. ?Provided, however, that if action on an instrument is filed, the defendant or defendants in such action may file a counterclaim arising out of the same transaction or transactions as are the subject of plaintiff's claim, although a shorter statute of limitations would otherwise apply to defendant's counterclaim. ?Such counterclaim may be filed against such parties as provided in G.S. 1A-1, Rules of Civil Procedure.

(3)?For the foreclosure of a mortgage, or deed in trust for creditors with a power of sale, of real property, where the mortgagor or grantor has been in possession of the property, within ten years after the forfeiture of the mortgage, or after the power of sale became absolute, or within ten years after the last payment on the same.

(4)?For the redemption of a mortgage, where the mortgagee has been in possession, or for a residuary interest under a deed in trust for creditors, where the trustee or those holding under him has been in possession, within ten years after the right of action accrued.

(5)?Repealed by Laws 1959, c. 879, s. 2.

Cite this article: - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 1. Civil Procedure § 1-47. Ten years - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard