Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this part, unless the context clearly indicates a different meaning, the following definitions apply:
(1) “Commercial automobile insurance coverage” means any coverage provided to an insured, regardless of number of vehicles or entities covered, under a commercial, garage, or truckers coverage form and rated from a commercial manual or rating rule. Vehicle type and ownership are not the primary factors in underwriting the coverage or rating the coverage. The rating may be subject to individual risk characteristics, including but not limited to experience rating, schedule rating, loss rating, or deductible rating.
(2) “Insurer” means an authorized insurer, as defined in 33-1-201, who issues or renews a motor vehicle liability policy.
(3) “Judgment” means any judgment that has become final by expiration without appeal of the time within which an appeal might have been perfected or by final affirmation on appeal rendered by a court of competent jurisdiction of any state or of the United States upon a cause of action arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of any motor vehicle, for damages, including damages for care and loss of services, because of bodily injury to or death of any person or for damages because of injury to or destruction of property, including the loss of use of property, or upon a cause of action on an agreement of settlement for damages.
(4) “License” means a driver's license as defined in 61-1-101.
(5) “Low-volume insurer” means an insurer that provides motor vehicle liability policies for fewer than 500 vehicles in this state.
(6)(a) “Motor vehicle liability policy” means a policy of insurance issued or renewed by an insurer to a person who owns or operates a motor vehicle that meets or exceeds the minimum coverage limits under 61-6-103, including a policy certified as provided in 61-6-133 as proof of financial responsibility.
(b) A certificate filed for a nonresident as proof of financial responsibility under 61-6-134 must be treated as a motor vehicle liability policy under this part.
(7) “Nonresident's operating privilege” means the privilege conferred upon a nonresident by the laws of this state pertaining to the operation by the nonresident of a motor vehicle or the use of a motor vehicle owned by the nonresident in this state.
(8) “Person” means every natural person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation.
(9) “Proof of financial responsibility” means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability on account of accidents occurring subsequent to the effective date of the proof of financial responsibility, arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle.
(10) “State” means any state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any province of the Dominion of Canada.
(11) “Suspension” means the withdrawal, by action of the department, of a motor vehicle's registration, as defined in 61-1-101, for a period of time prescribed by department rule.
(12) “System” means the online motor vehicle liability insurance verification system created in 61-6-157.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 61. Motor Vehicles § 61-6-102. Definitions - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-61-motor-vehicles/mt-code-ann-sect-61-6-102/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.