Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) A tenant commits the offense of criminal mischief damage to rental property if the tenant purposely or knowingly destroys, defaces, damages, impairs, or removes any part of the premises with a value of at least $1,000 or permits any person to do so in violation of 70-24-321(2) or 70-33-321(3).
(2) A person convicted of the offense of criminal mischief damage to rental property shall be fined an amount not to exceed $1,000 or be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months, or both.
(3) A person convicted of criminal mischief damage to rental property must be ordered to make restitution in an amount and manner to be set by the court pursuant to 46-18-201(5) and 46-18-241 through 46-18-249.
(4) A prosecution under this section is independent of and does not constitute a waiver of any of the rights, duties, obligations, and remedies otherwise provided for under Title 70, chapter 24 or 33.
(5) A person convicted of criminal mischief damage to rental property under this section is not subject to the provisions of 45-6-101.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 45. Crimes § 45-6-106. Criminal mischief damage to rental property - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-45-crimes/mt-code-ann-sect-45-6-106/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.