Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) To collect delinquent taxes, penalties, and interest, the department may direct the offset of any funds due the debtor from the state, except wages subject to the provisions of 25-13-614 and retirement benefits. The department, through the department of revenue, shall provide the debtor with notice of the right to request a hearing on the offset action. A request for hearing must be made within 30 days of the date of the notice.
(2) Subject to approval by the department, reasonable fees or costs of collection incurred by the department of revenue may be added to the amount of the debt, including added fees or costs. The debtor is liable for repayment of the amount of the debt plus fees or costs added pursuant to this subsection. All money collected must be returned to the department to be applied to the debt, except that all fees or costs collected must be retained by the department of revenue. If less than the full amount of the debt is collected, the department of revenue shall retain only a proportionate share of the collection fees or costs.
(3) The department may file a claim for state funds on behalf of the employer if a claim is required before funds are available for offset.
(4) The debt need not be determined to be uncollectible as provided for in 39-51-3207 before being transferred for offset.
(5) The department may direct the offset of funds owed to a person under 26 U.S.C. 6402 if the person owes a covered unemployment insurance tax debt. For the purposes of this subsection, “covered unemployment insurance tax debt” means:
(a) employer contributions, penalties, and interest owed to the unemployment insurance fund for which the department determines a person is liable and which remain uncollected; and
(b) any costs or processing fees associated with obtaining an offset for a covered unemployment insurance tax debt.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 39. Labor § 39-51-1307. Collection of unpaid taxes, penalties, and interest by offset - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-39-labor/mt-code-ann-sect-39-51-1307/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.