Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in 35-2-446 through 35-2-454, the following definitions apply:
(1) “Corporation” includes any domestic or foreign predecessor entity of a corporation in a merger or other transaction in which the predecessor's existence ceased upon consummation of the transaction.
(2)(a) “Director” means an individual who is or was a director of a corporation or an individual who, while a director of a corporation, is or was serving at the corporation's request as a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee, or agent of another foreign or domestic business or nonprofit corporation, partnership, joint venture, trust, employee benefit plan, or other enterprise. A director is considered to be serving an employee benefit plan at the corporation's request if the director's duties to the corporation also impose duties on, or otherwise involve services by, the director to the plan or the participants in or beneficiaries of the plan.
(b) Director includes, unless the context requires otherwise, the estate or personal representative of a director.
(3) “Expenses” include attorney fees.
(4) “Liability” means the obligation to pay a judgment, settlement, penalty, fine, excise tax assessed with respect to an employee benefit plan, or reasonable expenses actually incurred with respect to a proceeding.
(5)(a) “Official capacity” means:
(i) when used with respect to a director, the office of director in a corporation; or
(ii) when used with respect to an individual other than a director, as contemplated in 35-2-452, the office in a corporation held by the officer or the employment or agency relationship undertaken by the employee or agent on behalf of the corporation.
(b) Official capacity does not include service for any other foreign or domestic business or nonprofit corporation or any partnership, joint venture, trust, employee benefit plan, or other enterprise.
(6) “Party” includes an individual who was, is, or is threatened to be made a named defendant or respondent in a proceeding.
(7) “Proceeding” means any threatened, pending, or completed action, suit, or proceeding, whether civil, criminal, administrative, or investigative and whether formal or informal.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 35. Corporations, Partnerships, and Associations § 35-2-446. Definitions - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-35-corporations-partnerships-and-associations/mt-code-ann-sect-35-2-446/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.