Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of 35-14-850 through 35-14-859, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) “Corporation” includes any domestic or foreign predecessor entity of a corporation in a merger or other transaction in which the predecessor's existence ceased upon consummation of the transaction.
(2) “Director” means an individual who is or was a director of a corporation or who, while a director of the corporation, is or was serving at the corporation's request as a director of another entity or trustee of an employee benefit plan. A director is considered to be serving as a trustee of an employee benefit plan at the corporation's request if the individual's duties to the corporation also impose duties on, or otherwise involve services by, the individual to the plan or to participants in or beneficiaries of the plan. The term includes the estate or personal representative of a director.
(3) “Liability” means the obligation to pay a judgment, a settlement, a penalty, a fine, including an excise tax assessed with respect to an employee benefit plan, or expenses incurred with respect to a proceeding, including attorney fees.
(4) “Officer” means an individual who is or was an officer of a corporation or who, while an officer of the corporation, is or was serving at the corporation's request as an officer of another entity or trustee of an employee benefit plan. An officer is considered to be serving as a trustee of an employee benefit plan at the corporation's request if the individual's duties to the corporation also impose duties on or otherwise involve services by the individual to the plan or to participants in or beneficiaries of the plan. The term includes the estate or personal representative of an officer.
(5)(a) “Official capacity” means:
(i) when used with respect to a director, the office of director in a corporation; and
(ii) when used with respect to an officer as contemplated in 35-14-856, the office in a corporation held by the officer.
(b) The term does not include service for any other domestic or foreign corporation or any joint venture, trust, employee benefit plan, or other entity.
(6) “Party” means an individual who was, is, or is threatened to be made a defendant or respondent in a proceeding.
(7) “Proceeding” means any threatened, pending, or completed action, suit, or proceeding, whether civil, criminal, administrative, arbitrative, or investigative and whether formal or informal.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 35. Corporations, Partnerships, and Associations § 35-14-850. Definitions--indemnification and advance for expenses - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-35-corporations-partnerships-and-associations/mt-code-ann-sect-35-14-850/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.