Skip to main content

Montana Title 30. Trade and Commerce § 30-14-502. Definitions

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

As used in this part, the following definitions apply:

(1) “Buyer” means anyone who gives a consideration for the purchase or use of goods or services.

(2) “Personal solicitation” means any attempt by a seller to sell goods or services when either the seller or a person acting for the seller contacts the buyer by telephone or in person other than at the place of business of the seller, except:

(a) an attempted sale in which the buyer, prior to the attempted sale, personally knows the identity of the seller, the name of the business, firm, or organization that the seller represents, and the identity or kinds of goods or services offered for sale;

(b) an attempted sale in which the buyer has initiated the contact with the seller;

(c) an attempted sale of a newspaper subscription in which the seller is a minor engaged in both the delivery and the sale of the newspaper;

(d) an attempted sale of an insurance policy;  or

(e) an attempted sale of more than $5,000 of goods or services that are not primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.

(3) “Personal solicitation sale” means the purchase, lease, or rental of any goods or services following a personal solicitation by the seller or a person acting for the seller if the buyer is required to give consideration in excess of $25 in cash or credit.

(4) “Seller” means a lessor, renter, or anyone offering goods or services for consideration, including an assignee of a seller.

Cite this article: - Montana Title 30. Trade and Commerce § 30-14-502. Definitions - last updated April 27, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard