Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The board of a state trust company, with the commissioner's approval, may cause a state trust company to sell all or substantially all of its assets, including the right to control accounts established with the trust company, without shareholder or participant approval if the commissioner finds:
(1) The interests of the state trust company's clients, depositors, and creditors are jeopardized because of insolvency or imminent insolvency of the state trust company; and
(2) The sale is in the best interest of the state trust company's clients and creditors; and
(3) The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or its successor approves the transaction unless the deposits of the state trust company are not insured.
(b) A sale under this section must include an assumption and promise by the buyer to pay or otherwise discharge:
(1) All of the state trust company's liabilities to clients and depositors;
(2) All of the state trust company's liabilities for salaries of the state trust company's employees incurred before the date of the sale;
(3) Obligations incurred by the commissioner arising out of the supervision or sale of the state trust company; and
(4) Fees and assessments due the department.
(c) This section does not limit the incidental power of a state trust company to buy and sell assets in the ordinary course of business.
(d) This section does not affect the commissioner's right to take action under another law. The sale by a trust company of all or substantially all of its assets with shareholder or participant approval is considered a voluntary dissolution and liquidation and is governed by Section 81-5-101.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Mississippi Code Title 81. Banks and Financial Institutions § 81-27-6.408 § 81-27-6.408. Sale of assets - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-81-banks-and-financial-institutions/ms-code-sect-81-27-6-408/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.