Skip to main content

Mississippi Code Title 81. Banks and Financial Institutions § 81-12-24. Removal by commissioner;  filling vacancy

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) If, in the commissioner's opinion, after an examination, audit, or investigation, it is determined that any director or officer or any employee or controlling stockholder of any association has knowingly participated in or consented to any violation of this chapter, or any other law, rule, regulation or order, or any repeated violation of or failure to comply with any association's bylaws, and that as a result, a situation exists requiring immediate corrective action, the commissioner shall give notice to the board of directors of the association setting forth the violations and the remedies for same.  Failure of the board of directors to comply with the requirements of the commissioner within ten (10) days from the date of the notice shall render the board of directors in default thereupon.  Upon the expiration of such ten (10) days and upon continuation of such noncompliance and default, the commissioner may issue an order temporarily removing such person or persons cited for improper conduct as above described pending a hearing before the commissioner.  In regard to a controlling stockholder, the commissioner may order the stockholder to place all his voting stock in a voting trust, the trustee of the voting trust to be designated by the commissioner.  Any temporary order of removal shall state its duration on its face and the words “Temporary Order of Removal” and shall be effective upon issuance for a period of thirty (30) days and may be extended once upon written notice by the commissioner for an additional period of fifteen (15) days.  A hearing upon such “Temporary Order of Removal” shall be held by the commissioner within the thirty-day period, or any extension thereof, upon not less than fifteen (15) days' notice to the removed person or persons by certified United States mail, restricted delivery, at which hearing the commissioner may dissolve the temporary order or make the same permanent.  No removed person or persons shall receive any salary, compensation or remuneration from the association as an officer or director after the order is made permanent.  Any temporary order of removal by the commissioner shall not be subject to judicial review in any form.  Any final order of the commissioner may be appealed as provided in Section 81-12-205.

(2) Any removal pursuant to subsection (1) of this section shall be effective in all respects as if such removal had been made by the board of directors or the shareholders of the association in question.

(3) Without the prior written approval of the commissioner, no director or officer removed pursuant to this section shall be eligible to be elected or reelected to any position as an officer or director of that association nor shall such an officer or director be eligible to be elected to or retain a position as an officer or director of any other association or financial institution.

(4) The commissioner may appoint a director or officer to fill any vacancy caused by a removal pursuant to this section, but such appointed director or officer, should such removal be permanent, shall be appointed only to serve the balance of the term of the vacant position.  The commissioner may waive the requirements of Section 81-12-83(3) of a director appointed under the provisions of this section.  Such director shall be eligible to be elected by the shareholders thereafter.  Such officer shall be eligible to be elected by the board of directors of an association.

Cite this article: - Mississippi Code Title 81. Banks and Financial Institutions § 81-12-24. Removal by commissioner;  filling vacancy - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard