Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Before January 1, 2017, this chapter governs only:
(1) A limited partnership formed on or after July 1, 2015; and
(2) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (c) and (d), a limited partnership formed before July 1, 2015, which elects, in the manner provided in its partnership agreement or by law for amending the partnership agreement, to be subject to this chapter.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (c) and (d), on and after January 1, 2017, this chapter governs all limited partnerships.
(c) With respect to a limited partnership formed before July 1, 2015, the following rules apply except as the partners otherwise elect in the manner provided in the partnership agreement or by law for amending the partnership agreement:
(1) Section 79-14-110(c) does not apply and the limited partnership has whatever duration it had under the law applicable immediately before July 1, 2015.
(2) The limited partnership is not required to amend its certificate of limited partnership to comply with Section 79-14-201(b)(5).
(3) Sections 79-14-601 and 79-14-602 do not apply and a limited partner has the same right and power to dissociate from the limited partnership, with the same consequences, as existed immediately before July 1, 2015.
(4) Section 79-14-603(4) does not apply.
(5) Section 79-14-603(5) does not apply and a court has the same power to expel a general partner as the court had immediately before July 1, 2015.
(6) Section 79-14-801(a)(3) does not apply and the connection between a person's dissociation as a general partner and the dissolution of the limited partnership is the same as existed immediately before July 1, 2015.
(d) With respect to a limited partnership that elects pursuant to subsection (a)(2) to be subject to this chapter, after the election takes effect the provisions of this chapter relating to the liability of the limited partnership's general partners to third parties apply:
(1) Before January 1, 2017, to:
(A) A third party that had not done business with the limited partnership in the year before the election took effect; and
(B) A third party that had done business with the limited partnership in the year before the election took effect only if the third party knows or has been notified of the election; and
(2) On and after January 1, 2017, to all third parties, but those provisions remain inapplicable to any obligation incurred while those provisions were inapplicable under paragraph (1)(B).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Mississippi Code Title 79. Corporations, Associations, and Partnerships § 79-14-112. Application to existing relationships - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-79-corporations-associations-and-partnerships/ms-code-sect-79-14-112/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.