Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Owners of motor vehicles and noncommercial trailers who are residents of this state, upon complying with the laws relating to registration and licensing of motor vehicles and trailers, and upon payment of the road and bridge privilege taxes, ad valorem taxes and registration fees as prescribed by law for private carriers of passengers, pickup trucks, other noncommercial motor vehicles and trailers, and upon payment of an additional fee in the amount provided in subsection (4)(a) of this section, shall be issued a personalized license tag of the same color as regular license tags to consist of the name of the county and not more than seven (7) letters of the alphabet or seven (7) numbers in lieu of the license tag numbering system prescribed by law. The purchaser of the personalized license tag may choose the combination of such letters or numbers, but no two (2) motor vehicles or trailers shall have the same combination of letters or numbers. In the event that the same combination of letters has been chosen by two (2) or more purchasers, the Department of Revenue shall assign a different number to each such purchaser which shall appear on the license tag following the combination of letters; however, this combination shall not exceed seven (7) letters and/or numbers. The combination of letters and/or numbers written across the license tag shall be sufficiently large to be easily read but shall not be less than three (3) inches in height. No combination of letters or numbers which comprise words or expressions that are considered obscene, slandering, insulting or vulgar in ordinary usage shall be permitted, with the Commissioner of Revenue having the responsibility of making this determination. If, however, such license plate is issued in error or otherwise and is determined by the commissioner to be obscene, slanderous, insulting, vulgar or offensive, the commissioner shall notify the owner that the license plate must be surrendered and that another personalized license plate may be selected by him and issued at no cost. Should the vehicle or trailer owner not desire another personalized license plate, the fee for such plate shall be refunded. In the event the owner fails to surrender the license plate after receiving proper notification, the commissioner shall issue an order directing that the license plate be seized by agents of the Department of Revenue or any other duly authorized law enforcement personnel.
(2) For the purposes of this section the terms “motor vehicle” and “vehicle” include motorcycles.
(3) Application for the personalized license tags shall be made to the county tax collector on forms prescribed by the Department of Revenue. The application form shall contain space for the applicant to make five (5) different choices for the combination of the letters and numbers in the order in which the combination is desired by the applicant. The application and the additional fee, less five percent (5%) thereof to be retained by the tax collector, shall be remitted to the Department of Revenue within seven (7) days of the date the application is made. The portion of the additional fee retained by the tax collector shall be deposited into the county general fund.
(4)(a) Beginning with any registration year commencing on or after November 1, 1986, any person applying for a personalized license tag shall pay an additional fee which shall be in addition to all other taxes and fees. The additional fee paid shall be for a period of time to run concurrently with the vehicle's or trailer's established license tag year. The additional fee of Thirty Dollars ($30.00) is due and payable at the time the original application is made for a personalized tag and thereafter annually at the time of renewal registration as long as the owner retains the personalized tag. If the owner does not wish to retain the personalized tag, he must surrender it to the local county tax collector. The additional fee due at the time of renewal registration shall be collected by the county tax collector and remitted to the Department of Revenue on a monthly basis as prescribed by the department.
(b) The Department of Revenue shall deposit all taxes and fees into the State Treasury on the day collected. At the end of each month, the Department of Revenue shall certify the total fees collected under this section to the State Treasurer who shall distribute to the credit of the State General Fund Sixteen Dollars and Twenty-five Cents ($16.25) of each additional fee and the remainder of each such additional fee shall be deposited to the credit of the State Highway Fund to be expended solely for the repair, maintenance, construction or reconstruction of highways.
(5) A regular license tag must be properly displayed as required by law until replaced by a personalized license tag; and the regular license tag must be surrendered to the tax collector upon issuance of the personalized license tag. The tax collector shall issue up to two (2) license decals for the personalized license tag, which will expire the same month and year as the original license tag.
(6) The applicant shall receive a refund of the fee paid for a personalized license tag if the personalized license tag is not issued to him because the combination of letters and numbers requested to be placed thereon is not available for any reason.
(7) In the case of loss or theft of a personalized license tag, the owner may make application and affidavit for a replacement license tag as provided by Section 27-19-37. The fee for a replacement personalized license tag shall be Ten Dollars ($10.00). The tax collector receiving such application and affidavit shall be entitled to retain and deposit into the county general fund five percent (5%) of the fee for such replacement license tag and the remainder shall be distributed in the same manner as funds from the sale of regular license tags.
(8) The owner of a personalized license tag may make application for a duplicate of such tag. The fee for such duplicate personalized license tag shall be Ten Dollars ($10.00). The tax collector receiving the application shall be entitled to retain and deposit into the county general fund five percent (5%) of the fee for such duplicate personalized license tag and the remainder shall be distributed in the same manner as funds from the sale of regular license tags. A duplicate personalized license tag may not be fastened to the rear of a vehicle or trailer and may not be utilized as a replacement for any personalized license tag issued pursuant to this section. Month decals and year decals shall not be issued for duplicate personalized license tags and month decals and year decals shall not be attached to duplicate personalized license tags.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Mississippi Code Title 27. Taxation and Finance § 27-19-48. Issuance of personalized license tags - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-27-taxation-and-finance/ms-code-sect-27-19-48/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.