Skip to main content

Mississippi Code Title 11. Civil Practice and Procedure § 11-5-49. Answer not mandatory

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

In proceedings in matters testamentary and of administration, in minors' business, and in cases of persons with an intellectual disability, persons with mental illness and persons of unsound mind, as provided for by law, no answer shall be required to any petition or application of any sort.  Such a petition or application shall not be taken as confessed because of the lack of an answer, but every petition, application, or account shall be supported by the proper evidence and may be contested without an answer.  All such proceedings shall be as summary, as the statutes authorizing and regulating them contemplate;  however, when either of the parties having a controversy in court as to any of those several matters requires and the court sees proper, it may direct plenary proceedings by bill or petition, to which there shall be an answer on oath or affirmation.  If an adult or sane party refuses to answer as to any matter alleged in the bill or petition and proper for the court to decide upon, the party refusing may be attached, fined, and imprisoned at the discretion of the court, and the matter set forth in the bill or petition shall be taken as confessed and a decree shall be made accordingly.

Where the docket, files, books and papers of a justice of the peace shall have been delivered to a clerk of the county commission according to law, copies of such docket, files, books or papers, certified by such clerk, shall be evidence.

Cite this article: - Mississippi Code Title 11. Civil Practice and Procedure § 11-5-49. Answer not mandatory - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard