Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. A person commits the offense of fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance if he or she knowingly obtains or attempts to obtain a controlled substance, or knowingly procures or attempts to procure an administration of the controlled substance by fraud. The offense of fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance shall include, but shall not be limited to nor be limited by, the following:
(1) Knowingly making a false statement in any prescription, order, report, or record, required by this chapter or chapter 195;
(2) For the purpose of obtaining a controlled substance, falsely assuming the title of, or representing oneself to be, a manufacturer, wholesaler, pharmacist, physician, dentist, podiatrist, veterinarian, nurse, or other authorized person;
(3) Making or uttering any false or forged prescription or false or forged written order;
(4) Affixing any false or forged label to a package or receptacle containing controlled substances;
(5) Possess a false or forged prescription with intent to obtain a controlled substance.
2. The offense of fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance is a class E felony.
3. Information communicated to a physician in an effort unlawfully to procure a controlled substance or unlawfully to procure the administration of any such drug is not deemed a privileged communication; provided, however, that no physician or surgeon shall be competent to testify concerning any information which he or she may have acquired from any patient while attending him or her in a professional character and which information was necessary to enable him or her to prescribe for such patient as a physician, or to perform any act for him or her as a surgeon.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title XXXVIII. Crimes and Punishment; Peace Officers and Public Defenders § 579.045. Fraudulently attempting to obtain a controlled substance, penalty - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-xxxviii-crimes-and-punishment-peace-officers-and-public-defenders/mo-rev-st-579-045/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.