As used in this chapter, the following terms mean:
(1) “Child”, an individual under sixteen years of age, unless otherwise specified;
(2) “Commission”, the labor and industrial relations commission;
(3) “Department”, the department of labor and industrial relations;
(4) “Department director”, the director of the department of labor and industrial relations;
(5) “Director”, the director of the division of labor standards;
(6) “Division”, the division of labor standards;
(7) “Employ”, engage a child in gainful employment for wages or other remuneration. The term employ shall not include any child working under the direct control of
the child's parent and shall not include the following services which may be performed
by any child over the age of twelve:
(d) Participating in a youth sporting event as a referee, coach or other position
necessary to the sporting event; except that, this paragraph shall not include working
at a concession stand. For purposes of this paragraph, “youth sporting event” means an event where all players are under the age of eighteen and the event is
sponsored and supervised by a public body or a not-for-profit entity;
(8) “Parent”, a child's parent, legal custodian or guardian.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.