Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. The division shall, prior to the beginning of each fiscal year beginning with the fiscal year commencing on July 1, 1997, make an estimate of the expenses to be incurred by it during such fiscal year reasonably attributable to the regulation of railroads, railroad corporations, street railroads and street railroad corporations, as provided in chapters 386, 387, 388, 389, and 391 and this chapter, and shall also separately estimate the amount of these expenses which are:
(1) Directly attributable to the regulation of railroads and railroad corporations;
(2) Directly attributable to the regulation of street railroads and street railroad corporations; and
(3) Not directly attributable to either of these groups.
2. The division shall allocate to each of these groups of entities the estimated expenses directly attributable to the regulation of that group and an amount equal to such proportion of the estimated expenses not directly attributable to either group as the gross intrastate operating revenues of all entities within that group during the preceding calendar year bears to the total gross intrastate operating revenues of all railroads, railroad corporations, street railroads and street railroad corporations during that year. The division shall then assess the amounts allocated, subject to adjustment as herein provided, to the entities within each group, in proportion to their respective gross intrastate operating revenues during the preceding calendar year, except that:
(1) The total amount assessed to all such entities shall not exceed three percent of the total gross intrastate operating revenues of all railroads, railroad corporations, street railroads and street railroad corporations within this state; and
(2) These assessments shall be adjusted in a manner as to provide that:
(a) The assessment for each railroad corporation or street railroad corporation which has less than fifty route miles of track within this state shall be not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars per year;
(b) The assessment for each railroad corporation or street railroad corporation which has not less than fifty route miles nor more than one hundred route miles of track within the state shall be not less than one thousand dollars per year;
(c) The assessment for each railroad corporation or street railroad corporation which has more than one hundred route miles of track within the state shall be not less than five thousand dollars per year.
3. The division shall send a written statement of this assessment to each railroad corporation and street railroad corporation on or before July first, by first class mail with postage prepaid, and the amount assessed to each entity shall be paid by it to the director of revenue in full on or before July fifteenth next following the date of mailing of the statement; except that any railroad corporation or street railroad corporation may pay its assessment in four equal installments not later than the following dates next following the date of mailing of the statement: July fifteenth, October fifteenth, January fifteenth and April fifteenth. The director of revenue shall remit such payments to the state treasurer.
4. The state treasurer shall credit such payments to the railroad expense fund established pursuant to section 622.015, which fund shall be devoted solely to the payment of expenditures actually incurred by the division and attributable to its regulation of railroads, railroad corporations, street railroads and street railroad corporations. Any amount remaining in such special fund at the end of any fiscal year shall not revert to the general revenue fund, but shall be applicable by appropriation of the general assembly to the payment of these expenditures of the division in the succeeding fiscal year and shall be applied by the division to the reduction of the amount to be assessed to such entities in such succeeding fiscal year. A reduction shall be allocated to each of these groups of entities in proportion to the respective gross intrastate operating revenues of the respective groups during the preceding calendar year.
5. In order to enable the division to make the allocations and assessments provided for in this section, each railroad, railroad corporation, street railroad and street railroad corporation which owns or operates any track within this state shall file with the division, within ten days after August 28, 1996, and thereafter on or before March thirty-first of each year, a statement under oath showing its gross intrastate operating revenues for the preceding calendar year, and if any of these entities shall fail to file such statement within the time prescribed in this section, the division shall estimate such revenues, which estimate shall be binding on such entity for the purposes of this section.
6. Nothing in this section shall be construed to apply to motor carriers under chapter 390, and the expenses of the division attributable to the regulation and oversight of motor carriers shall not be included in the expenses of the division for the purposes of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title XL. Additional Executive Departments § 622.300. Division’s estimation of expenses to be incurred during fiscal year--allocation of estimated expenses--written statement of assessment sent--state treasurer credit of payments--statement of revenues filed with division--application only to railroads. - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-xl-additional-executive-departments/mo-rev-st-622-300/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.