Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. The county governing body of any county in which a city of the fourth class is located shall disincorporate such city as provided in this section.
2. The county governing body shall order an election upon the question of disincorporation of a fourth class city upon petition of twenty-five percent of the voters of the city.
3. The county governing body shall give notice of the election by publication in a newspaper of general circulation published in the city or, if there is no such newspaper in the city, then in the newspaper in the county published nearest the city. The notice shall contain a copy of the petition and the names of the petitioners. No election on the question of disincorporation shall be held until the notice has been published for four weeks successively.
4. The question shall be submitted in substantially the following form:
Shall the city of .................... be dissolved?
5. Upon the affirmative vote of a majority of those persons voting on the question, the county governing body shall disincorporate the city.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Missouri Revised Statutes Title VII. Cities, Towns and Villages § 79.490. Fourth class city disincorporated, how--election, notice - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mo/title-vii-cities-towns-and-villages/mo-rev-st-79-490/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.