Skip to main content

Minnesota Statutes Water (Ch. 103A-114B) § 103B.581. Termination

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Subdivision 1. Petition.  Termination of a district may be initiated by petition requesting the termination of the district.  The petition must be signed by a majority of the property owners in a district within 30 days after receiving a petition.  The county board or joint county authority must set a time and place for a hearing on terminating the district.

Subd. 2. Findings and order.  If the board or joint county authority determines that the existence of the district is no longer in the public welfare or public interest and it is not needed to accomplish the purpose of the Lake Improvement District Law, the board or joint county authority shall make the findings and terminate the district by order.  On filing a certified copy of the findings and order with the secretary of state, Pollution Control Agency, and commissioner of natural resources the district is terminated and ceases to be a political subdivision of the state.

Subd. 3. Termination of financing.  If a district is terminated under subdivision 2, additional water and related land resource management programs may not be undertaken with money raised by a special tax within the district, and additional special water and related land resource management taxes may not be levied within the district.  If money raised by past special tax levies within the district has been exhausted, further operation and maintenance of existing programs may be financed by appropriations from the general revenue fund of an affected county.

Cite this article: - Minnesota Statutes Water (Ch. 103A-114B) § 103B.581. Termination - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard