Skip to main content

Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 600. Revised Judicature Act of 1961 § 600.5801

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec.?5801. ?No person may bring or maintain any action for the recovery or possession of any lands or make any entry upon any lands unless, after the claim or right to make the entry first accrued to himself or to someone through whom he claims, he commences the action or makes the entry within the periods of time prescribed by this section.

(1)?Defendant claiming title under fiduciary's deed or court-ordered sale. ?When the defendant claims title to the land in question by or through some deed made upon the sale of the premises by an executor, administrator, guardian, or testamentary trustee; ?or by a sheriff or other proper ministerial officer under the order, judgment, process, or decree of a court or legal tribunal of competent jurisdiction within this state, or by a sheriff upon a mortgage foreclosure sale the period of limitation is 5 years.

(2)?Defendant claiming title under tax deed. ?When the defendant claims title under some deed made by an officer of this state or of the United States who is authorized to make deeds upon the sale of lands for taxes assessed and levied within this state the period of limitation is 10 years.

(3)?Defendant claiming title under will. ?When the defendant claims title through a devise in any will, the period of limitation is 15 years after the probate of the will in this state.

(4)?Other cases. ?In all other cases under this section, the period of limitation is 15 years.

Cite this article: - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 600. Revised Judicature Act of 1961 § 600.5801 - last updated February 09, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard