Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 600. Revised Judicature Act of 1961 § 600.2455
Search Michigan Compiled Laws
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) When a person has entered into a driving while under the influence of intoxicants diversion agreement and the person's actions resulted in economic damages, the district attorney shall investigate and present to the court within 90 days of when the diversion agreement is entered, evidence of the nature and amount of the damages. If the court finds from the evidence presented that a victim suffered economic damages, the court shall order the defendant to pay restitution and include in the diversion agreement one of the following:
(a) A requirement that the defendant pay the victim restitution in a specific amount that equals the full amount of the victim's economic damages as determined by the court.
(b) A requirement that the defendant pay the victim restitution in a specific amount that is less than the full amount of the victim's economic damages, with the consent of the victim.
(2) After the district attorney makes a presentation described in subsection (1) of this section, if the court is unable to find from the evidence presented that a victim suffered economic damages, the court shall make a finding on the record to that effect.
(3) A finding made by the court under this section, or a failure of the court to make a finding, does not limit or impair the right of a person injured to sue and recover damages in a civil action as provided in ORS 137.109.
(4) If the defendant objects to the imposition, amount or distribution of the restitution, the court shall allow the defendant to be heard on such issue at the time the court determines the amount of restitution.
(5) As used in this section, “victim” includes any person the court determines has suffered economic damages as a result of the act that has brought the defendant before the court for the purpose of entering into a driving while under the influence of intoxicants diversion agreement.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 600. Revised Judicature Act of 1961 § 600.2455 - last updated February 09, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mi/chapter-600-revised-judicature-act-of-1961/mi-comp-laws-600-2455/
Was this helpful?