Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 7. (1) If an employer violates this act, the eligible employee affected by the violation, at any time within 6 months after the violation may file a claim with the department.
(2) The director shall enforce this act. The director shall establish a system utilizing multiple means of communication to receive complaints regarding non-compliance with this act and investigate complaints received by the department in a timely manner.
(3) Upon receiving a complaint alleging a violation of this act, the department shall investigate the complaint and attempt to resolve it through mediation between the complainant and the subject of the complaint, or other means. The department shall keep complainants notified regarding the status of their complaint and any resultant investigation. If the department determines that a violation has occurred, it shall issue to the offending person a notice of violation and the relief required of the offending person. The department shall prescribe the form and wording of notices of violation, which must include the method of appealing the determination of the department.
(4) The department may impose penalties and grant an eligible employee or former eligible employee payment of all paid medical leave improperly withheld. The department is the trustee for the eligible employee or former eligible employee and shall distribute and account for money collected under this subsection.
(5) An employer that fails to provide paid medical leave in violation of this act is subject to an administrative fine of not more than $1,000.00.
(6) An employer that willfully violates the posting requirement of section 8 is subject to an administrative fine of not more than $100.00 for each separate violation.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 408. Labor § 408.967 - last updated February 09, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mi/chapter-408-labor/mi-comp-laws-408-967/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.