Skip to main content

Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 399. Historical Records and Sites § 399.711

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 11.  (1) The Michigan council for arts and cultural affairs is transferred by a type II transfer to the department.  The council shall consist of 15 members appointed by the governor.

(2) The term of office of each member of the council shall be 3 years.  A member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring other than by expiration of a term shall be appointed for the unexpired term.

(3) The governor shall appoint 1 member of the council as chairperson.  The council shall elect other officers as it considers necessary.

(4) Members of the council shall not receive compensation, but may be reimbursed for the actual and necessary expenses, including mileage, incurred in carrying out their functions.

(5) The council may appoint subcommittees and advisory committees.  The director may assign staff, if requested by the chairperson of the council, to assist the council in performing its functions.

(6) The council shall do all of the following:

(a) Advise the governor and the director on matters relating to arts and cultural affairs.

(b) Disburse, fund, and make grants to public and private arts and cultural entities.

(c) Accept gifts, grants, loans, appropriations, or other aid from any person and agree and comply with conditions attached to such gifts, grants, loans, appropriations, or other aid.

(d) Make and execute contracts and other instruments with any person, necessary or convenient to the proper exercise of its function.

(e) Develop and implement a long-range plan to accomplish its objectives.

Cite this article: - Michigan Compiled Laws, Chapter 399. Historical Records and Sites § 399.711 - last updated February 09, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard