Maryland Code, Transportation § 22-213
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Any vehicle carrying a load that extends beyond the side or to the rear 4 or more feet beyond the bed or body of the vehicle shall be equipped with the lamps and reflectors required by this section, in addition to other required lamps, at the times specified in § 22-201.1 of this subtitle.
(b) Loads projecting beyond sides of motor vehicles shall be marked as follows:
(1) The foremost edge of the projecting load, at its outermost extremity, shall be marked with an amber lamp visible from the front and side;
(2) The rearmost edge of the projecting load, at its outermost extremity, shall be marked with a red lamp visible from the rear and side;
(3) If any portion of the projecting load extends beyond both the foremost or rearmost edge, it shall be marked with an amber lamp visible from the front, side, and rear; or
(4) If the projecting load does not measure over 3 feet from front to rear, it shall be marked with an amber lamp visible from the front, side, and rear, except that, if the projection is located at or near the rear, it shall be marked by a red lamp visible from the front, side, and rear.
(c) Motor vehicles carrying loads that extend over 4 feet beyond the rear of the motor vehicle or that have tailboards or tailgates extending over 4 feet beyond the body shall have these projections marked:
(1) On each side of the projecting load, by one red lamp, visible from the side and located so as to indicate maximum overhang; and
(2) On the rear of the projecting load, by two red lamps, visible from the rear, one at each side, and two red reflectors, visible from the rear, one at each side, located so as to indicate maximum width.
(d) On any vehicle with a load that extends beyond either side more than 6 inches or beyond its rear more than 4 feet there shall be displayed at all times, at each point a lamp is required, red or orange-fluorescent warning flags, not less than 18 inches square, marking the extremities of the load.
(e) Every flag shall be so mounted or constructed that its full dimensions are visible at all times.
(f) This section in no way expands the provisions of § 24-103 of this article, or any other provision of law that prohibits certain extensions of loads on vehicles.
(g) This section does not apply to loads consisting of agricultural products, the nature of which would make installation of the required lights and reflectors impractical or unsafe.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Transportation § 22-213 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/transportation/md-code-trans-sect-22-213/
Was this helpful?