Maryland Code, Transportation § 13-936
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) In this section, “historic motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle, including a passenger vehicle, motorcycle, or truck that:
(1) Is at least 20 years old;
(2) Has not been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design; and
(3) Meets criteria contained in regulations adopted by the Administration.
(b) In this section, “historic motor vehicle” does not include a vehicle that has been remanufactured or reconstructed as a replica of an original vehicle.
(c) If registered with the Administration under this section, every historic motor vehicle is a Class L (historic) vehicle.
(d) Except as provided in subsection (i) of this section, for each Class L (historic) vehicle, the annual registration fee is $25.50.
(e) In applying for registration of a historic motor vehicle under this section, the owner of the vehicle shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(1) Will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and occasional transportation; and
(2) Will not be used:
(i) For general daily transportation;
(ii) Primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways;
(iii) For employment;
(iv) For transportation to and from employment or school; or
(v) For commercial purposes.
(f) Except as provided in § 13-936.1 of this subtitle, on registration of a vehicle under this section, the Administration shall issue a special, historic motor vehicle registration plate of the size and design that the Administration determines.
(g) Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of this State as a condition of sale when the vehicle was manufactured, the presence of any specific equipment is not required for the operation of a vehicle registered under this section.
(h)(1) A vehicle with a model year of 1985 or earlier registered under this section is exempt from any statute that requires vehicle inspections.
(2) A vehicle registered under this section is exempt from any statute that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.
(i)(1) For a motor vehicle manufactured at least 60 years prior to the current model year, there is a onetime registration fee of $50.00.
(2) Registration of a motor vehicle manufactured under this subsection is not transferable to a subsequent owner.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Transportation § 13-936 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/transportation/md-code-trans-sect-13-936/
Was this helpful?