Maryland Code, Land Use § 17-212

(a) The Commission may:

(1) except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, name and rename any street or highway and number and renumber the houses in the regional district if each new number or change of number is reported to the owner or occupant of the building for the purpose of:

(i) correcting mistakes;

(ii) removing confusion because of a duplication of street names;  and

(iii) securing a uniformity of street names and numbering of houses;

(2) place or have placed new numbers on the buildings or premises and proper signs indicating the names of streets and highways;  and

(3) appropriate and expend as much of any surplus from fees for building permits issued in each county as is necessary to pay for the expenses in carrying out this section.

(b)(1) The Commission may adopt reasonable regulations for carrying out any changes in street or highway names or the numbering of houses.

(2) A violation of a regulation adopted under this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable under the general penalty provisions of this division.

(c)(1) The Commission may not rename any street or renumber any house located in a municipal corporation in Prince George's County unless the proposed change is approved by the legislative body of the municipal corporation.

(2)(i) Any party aggrieved by the refusal of a municipal corporation to approve a proposed change may appeal to the Prince George's County Council.

(ii) After public hearing and on a finding of need for public health, safety, and welfare, the County Council by resolution may authorize the change notwithstanding the objections of the municipal corporation.

(iii) The resolution shall require the affirmative vote of two-thirds of all the members of the County Council.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Land Use § 17-212 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard