Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a)(1) The Commission shall conduct an evaluation of existing mandated health insurance services and make recommendations to the General Assembly regarding decision making criteria for reducing the number of mandates or the extent of coverage.
(2) The evaluation shall include:
(i) an assessment of the full cost of each existing mandated health insurance service as a percentage of the State's average annual wage and of premiums:
1. under a typical group and individual health benefit plan in the State;
2. under the State employee health benefit plan; and
3. under the Comprehensive Standard Health Benefit Plan;
(ii) an assessment of the degree to which existing mandated health insurance services are covered in self-funded plans; and
(iii) a comparison of mandated health insurance services provided by the State with those provided in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
(3) The comparison described in paragraph (2)(iii) of this subsection shall include:
(i) the number of mandated health insurance services;
(ii) the type of mandated health insurance services;
(iii) the level and extent of coverage for each mandated health insurance service; and
(iv) the financial impact of differences in levels of coverage for each mandated health insurance service.
(4) On or before January 1, 2004, and every 4 years thereafter, the Commission shall submit a report of its findings to the General Assembly, subject to § 2-1257 of the State Government Article.
(b) The General Assembly may consider the information provided under subsection (a) of this section in determining:
(1) whether to enact proposed mandated health insurance services; and
(2) whether to repeal existing mandated health insurance services.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Insurance § 15-1502 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/insurance/md-code-insurance-sect-15-1502/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?