Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this section, “affiliate” means a person that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with another person.
(b) A carrier may elect not to renew all individual health benefit plans in the State.
(c) When a carrier elects not to renew all individual health benefit plans in the State, the carrier:
(1) shall give notice of its decision to the affected individuals at least 180 days before the effective date of nonrenewal;
(2) at least 30 working days before that notice, shall give notice to the Commissioner;
(3) if the carrier has an affiliate in the individual market, shall give notice to each affected individual at least 180 days before the effective date of nonrenewal of the individual's option to purchase all other individual health benefit plans currently offered by the affiliate of the carrier; and
(4) may not write new business for individuals in the State for a 5-year period beginning on the date of notice to the Commissioner.
(d) A carrier that offers an individual health benefit plan shall offer an individual health benefit plan to an individual who is nonrenewed by an affiliate of the carrier under subsection (c) of this section on a guarantee issue basis, if the individual applies for coverage no later than 63 days after the effective date of nonrenewal.
(e) A carrier that issues coverage under subsection (d) of this section may not rate the coverage on a substandard basis unless the individual was rated on a substandard basis under the prior coverage provided to the individual by the affiliate of the carrier.
(f)(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a carrier that issues coverage under subsection (d) of this section shall waive the waiting period for coverage of a preexisting condition to the extent that the individual has satisfied a waiting period under the individual's prior contract or policy.
(2) The carrier that issues coverage under subsection (d) of this section may require the individual to satisfy the remaining part of the waiting period if any part of the waiting period under the individual's prior contract or policy has not been satisfied, unless the coverage issued under subsection (d) of this section has a shorter waiting period.
(g) A health maintenance organization need not offer coverage to an individual who does not live, reside, or work within the health maintenance organization's approved service areas.
(h) A carrier will not be considered to have elected not to renew all individual health benefit plans in the State if the carrier complies with 45 C.F.R. § 147.106(d)(3).
Sec. 5. Escape from custody while in any other state pursuant to the agreement on detainers constitutes an offense against the laws of this state to the same extent and degree as escape from prison in this state and shall be punishable in the same manner as such an escape.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Insurance § 15-1308 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/insurance/md-code-insurance-sect-15-1308/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?