Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Human Services § 11-301

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) There is a Board of Directors of the Corporation.

(b)(1) The Board consists of:

(i) nine voting members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate;  and

(ii) the executive director, who is a nonvoting ex officio member.

(2) Voting members shall be residents of the State and shall represent the different geographical regions of the State.

(3) Five voting members shall be lawyers admitted to the Bar in the State and four voting members shall be nonlawyers.

(c) A voting member of the Board is not an officer or employee of the State.

(d)(1) The term of office of a voting member is 3 years.

(2) At the end of a term a voting member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.

(3) The terms of voting members are staggered as required by the terms provided for members of the Board on October 1, 2007.

(4) If a vacancy occurs during the term of a voting member, the Governor shall fill the vacancy.

(5) A voting member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.

(6) A voting member may not be reappointed for more than 2 consecutive terms immediately following the member's initial term.

(e)(1) A voting member may be removed by a vote of seven members.

(2) A voting member may only be removed for:

(i) malfeasance in office;

(ii) persistent neglect of or inability to discharge duties;  or

(iii) offenses involving moral turpitude.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Human Services § 11-301 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard