(a) A court may grant a guardianship of a child only if:
(1) each of the child's living parents consents:
(i) in writing; or
(ii) by failure to timely file notice of objection after being served with a show-cause
order in accordance with this subtitle;
(2) an administrative, executive, or judicial body of a state or other jurisdiction
has granted a governmental unit or person other than a parent the power to consent
to adoption, and the governmental unit or person consents; or
(3) parental rights have been terminated in compliance with the laws of a state or
other jurisdiction, as described in § 5-3A-05 of this subtitle.
(b) A governmental unit or person:
(1) may condition consent or acquiescence on adoption into a specific family that
a child placement agency has approved for the placement; but
(2) may not condition consent or acquiescence on any factor other than placement into
a specific family.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.