(a) On or before August 1, 2019, the Department and the Maryland Department of Health
shall develop guidelines for public schools regarding the administration of health
care services to students with sickle cell disease.
(b) The guidelines shall include:
(1) Procedures for educating clinical and nonclinical school personnel and individuals
who work with students who are participating in school-related activities about symptoms
of distress related to sickle cell disease;
(2) Protocols to ensure students with sickle cell disease receive care as determined
by orders from the student's provider and the school nurse's assessment during school
and school-sponsored after-school activities; and
(3) Any other issue pertaining to the administration of health care services to students
with sickle cell disease.
(c) On or before September 1, 2019, the Department and the Maryland Department of
(1) Provide technical assistance to schools to:
(i) Implement the guidelines established under this section; and
(ii) Instruct school personnel at the local level regarding the guidelines established
under this section; and
(2) Develop a process to monitor the implementation of the guidelines.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.