Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) (1) There is a Wicomico County School Board Nominating Commission.
(2) The purpose of the Commission is to select nominees to recommend to the Wicomico County Council as qualified candidates for appointment to fill a vacancy on the Wicomico County Board.
(3) Within 60 days of a vacancy on the county board, the Commission shall:
(i) Develop and publicize criteria for choosing nominees to fill the vacancy;
(ii) Make public the names of the candidates that apply for appointment to fill a vacancy on the county board;
(iii) Hold at least two public hearings on the applicants for appointment; and
(iv) Make public and submit to the County Council the names of two nominees for any vacancy.
(4)(i) Within 60 days after the County Council receives the names of the nominees from the Commission, the County Council shall hold a public hearing regarding the nominees.
(ii) After the hearing, if the County Council deems at least one of the nominees acceptable, the County Council shall vote on the nominees and fill the vacancy.
(iii) If the County Council deems both nominees unacceptable, the County Council shall return the names to the Commission and request that the Commission submit the names of at least two additional qualified nominees from which the County Council shall select an individual to fill the vacancy.
(5)(i) The Commission consists of 14 members.
(ii) The members of the Commission shall be appointed from the names submitted by the following organizations, entities, or communities of interest:
1. One member from the Wicomico County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People;
2. One member from the Wicomico County Education Association;
3. One member from the Wicomico County area chambers of commerce, selected by the chambers by consensus;
4. One member from the Wicomico County Educational Support Professionals Association;
5. One member from the Wicomico County Council of PTAs;
6. One member from each of the eight incorporated municipalities in Wicomico County; and
7. One member who is a parent of a child with special needs in the Wicomico County Public School System and who is affiliated with an advocacy group for children with special needs in the county.
(6) To the extent practicable, the Commission shall reflect the gender, ethnic, and racial makeup of the county.
(7) The County Executive of Wicomico County shall appoint the members of the Commission, with the advice and consent of the County Council, from the names submitted by the organizations, entities, or communities of interest listed under paragraph (5) of this subsection.
(8) The term of a member of the Commission is 4 years.
(9) The Commission shall select a chair and vice chair from among the members.
(b) The Wicomico County Public School System shall provide staff for the Commission.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 3-13A-03 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-3-13a-03/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.