Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Division” means the Division of Rehabilitation Services within the Maryland State Department of Education.
(3) “Transition services” means a coordinated set of activities for a student with a disability who meets the definition of a transitioning student that promotes movement from school to postschool activities, including postsecondary education, vocational training, integrated employment, supported employment, adult services, independent living, and community participation.
(4) “Transitioning student” means a student with a disability who is between the ages of 14 and 21 years who meets the eligibility criteria of the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 1 or § 7 of the federal Rehabilitation Act. 2
(b) The Division shall:
(1) Assign a rehabilitation counselor as a liaison to each Maryland public high school;
(2) Establish a cooperative agreement with each county board defining roles, responsibilities, and procedures in order to provide appropriate transition services for a transitioning student; and
(3) Develop, in consultation with county boards, for each transitioning student who is determined eligible for rehabilitation services, an individualized plan for employment prior to graduation.
(c)(1) Each county board shall transmit to the Department information relating to the postsecondary anticipated services of the county's transitioning students. The information shall be reported in the manner required by the Department.
(2) The Department shall aggregate the information provided under paragraph (1) of this subsection and forward the information annually to:
(i) The Behavioral Health Administration of the Maryland Department of Health;
(ii) The Developmental Disabilities Administration of the Maryland Department of Health; and
(iii) Other appropriate State adult services agencies, as determined by the Department.
(3) The information under this section shall include, for each transitioning student:
(i) The student's current age;
(ii) The projected year of exit of the student from school;
(iii) Anticipated needs of the student;
(iv) The student's county of residence; and
(v) Any other information that the Department considers appropriate.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 21-305 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-21-305/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.