Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Education § 18-405

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, a senatorial scholarship may be used only at any community college or undergraduate, graduate, or professional school in the State.

(b) A senatorial scholarship may be used:

(1) If the curriculum is approved by the Commission, at a degree granting institution of higher education, a hospital diploma school for training registered nurses, or to attend a private postsecondary proprietary institution that is accredited by a national accrediting association approved by the United States Department of Education as a full-time student;  and

(2) For educational expenses as defined by the Office, including:

(i) Tuition and mandatory fees;  and

(ii) Room and board.

(c) If on-campus housing is available, a senatorial scholarship may not be used to pay for off-campus housing.

(d) Each Senator may award not more than 10 percent of the funds available under this subtitle to applicants planning to attend accredited undergraduate, graduate, or professional institutions outside the State, provided the applicant:

(1) Will be studying in an academic area that is not available in the State;

(2) Is a hearing impaired person who will be studying at an institution outside the State that makes special provisions for hearing impaired students, and comparable special provisions are not available to the applicant at an institution in the State;  or

(3) Is an individual who is on active duty with the United States military who is domiciled in this State.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Education § 18-405 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard