Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The government of the College is vested in the Board of Trustees of the College.
(b)(1) The Board of Trustees consists of nine voting members:
(i) Six members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate, including the student member;
(ii) One member jointly appointed by the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Delegates, who shall serve as chair of the Board;
(iii) The Chief Executive Officer of the Baltimore City Public Schools, or the Chief Executive Officer's designee, who shall serve as an ex officio member; and
(iv) The Executive Director of the Mayor's Office of Employment Development, who shall serve as an ex officio member.
(2) Of the members:
(i) Each shall be a resident of the State;
(ii) A majority shall be residents of Baltimore City; and
(iii) One shall be a regularly enrolled student in good standing at the College.
(3) The members of the Board shall, to the extent practicable, consist of at least:
(i) One individual with a background in higher education;
(ii) One individual with a background in procurement and finance;
(iii) One individual with a background in workforce development; and
(iv) One high level executive from a large employer located in Baltimore City.
(c)(1) The student member shall have a term of 1 year beginning July 1 and ending on June 30.
(2) Except for the student member, the term is 6 years from July 1 of the year of appointment and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(3) The terms of the members are staggered, as required by the terms provided for members of the Board on July 1, 2017.
(4) A member appointed to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term serves only for the remainder of that term or until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(5) A member may be reappointed but may not serve more than 2 consecutive full terms.
(d) Each member of the Board of Trustees:
(1) Serves without compensation; and
(2) Is entitled to reimbursement for expenses in accordance with the Standard State Travel Regulations. 1
(e) Except as provided in subsection (b)(1)(ii) of this section, the Board of Trustees may elect any other officers it requires.
(f)(1) The Board of Trustees shall meet regularly at such times and places as it determines.
(2) The Board of Trustees may adopt rules for the conduct of its meetings and the transaction of business.
(g) A majority of the voting members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 16-504 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-16-504/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.