Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) There is a Maryland Fire-Rescue Education and Training Commission in the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
(b)(1) The Commission consists of 13 members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. Of the members:
(i) Each shall be qualified to deal with the matters within the authority of the Commission;
(ii) Six shall be volunteer emergency services personnel or instructors;
(iii) Three shall be emergency services instructors who are career personnel representing the academies;
(iv) Three shall be career emergency services personnel who are not instructors; and
(v) One shall be a member of the general public.
(2) Each member serves for a term of 4 years and until a successor is appointed and qualifies. These terms are staggered as required by the terms of the members serving on July 1, 1978.
(3) A member appointed to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term serves only for the remainder of that term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) A member may be removed by the Governor:
(i) For neglect of duty; or
(ii) If the Governor believes the member's continued membership is not in the public interest.
(5) Each member of the Commission:
(i) Serves without compensation; but
(ii) Is entitled to reimbursement for expenses in accordance with the Standard State Travel Regulations. 1
(c)(1) The Governor shall designate one of the members of the Commission as the chairman of the Commission. The chairman serves at the pleasure of the Governor.
(2) Each year, the Commission shall elect a vice chairman and any other officer it requires.
(3) The Commission:
(i) Shall meet at least once every 2 months;
(ii) May meet at any other time the chairman designates; and
(iii) May adopt rules for the conduct of its meetings.
(4) A quorum consists of 7 members, one of whom shall be the chairman or vice chairman.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Education § 11-502 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/education/md-code-educ-sect-11-502/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.