Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Check” means a negotiable instrument that is not postdated at the time it is issued.
(c) “Drawer” means a person whose name appears on a check as the primary obligor, whether the actual signature on the check is that of the person or of another purportedly authorized to draw the check on the person's behalf.
(d) “Funds” means money or credit.
(e) “Issue”, with respect to a check, means the act of a drawer or representative drawer who:
(1) delivers the check or causes it to be delivered to a person who acquires a right against the drawer with respect to the check as a result of the delivery; or
(2) draws the check with the intent that it be delivered to a person who on delivery would acquire a right assignable with respect to the check drawer and the check is delivered to that person.
(f) “Obtain” has the meaning stated in § 7-101 of this article.
(g) “Pass”, with respect to a check, means delivering the check by a payee, holder, or bearer of the check, if:
(1) the check was or purports to have been drawn and issued by a person other than the person delivering the check; and
(2) the delivery was made to a third person who acquires a right with respect to the check as a result of the delivery or for a purpose other than collection.
(h) “Property” has the meaning stated in § 7-101 of this article.
(i) “Representative drawer” means a person who signs a check as drawer in a representative capacity or as agent of the drawer.
(j) “Service” includes:
(1) labor or professional service;
(2) telecommunication, public utility, toll facility, or transportation services;
(3) lodging, entertainment, or restaurant service; and
(4) the use of computers, data processing, or other equipment.
(k) “Value” has the meaning stated in § 7-103 of this article.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Criminal Law § 8-101 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/criminal-law/md-code-crim-law-sect-8-101.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.