Maryland Code, Commercial Law § 16-602
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) A lien is not effective under this subtitle unless, before payment of any money to the patient, his attorney, heirs, or personal representative as compensation for the injuries, the hospital:
(1) Files a notice of lien with the clerk of the circuit court of the county where the medical or other services were provided; and
(2) Sends a copy of the notice of lien and a statement of the date of its filing by registered or certified mail to the person alleged to be liable for the injuries received by the patient.
(b) The notice of lien shall be in writing and shall contain:
(1) The name and address of the injured patient;
(2) The date of the accident;
(3) The name and location of the hospital;
(4) The amount claimed; and
(5) The name of the person alleged to be liable for the injuries received.
(c) The hospital also shall send a copy of the notice of lien by registered or certified mail to any insurance carrier known to insure the person alleged to be liable for the injuries received by the patient.
(1) The board of directors or the holders of shares representing at least ten percent of all of the votes entitled to be cast on the amendment may propose an amendment to the articles of incorporation for submission to the shareholders.
(2) For an amendment to the articles of incorporation to be adopted pursuant to subsection (1) of this section:
(a) The board of directors shall recommend the amendment to the shareholders unless the amendment is proposed by shareholders or unless the board of directors determines that, because of conflict of interest or other special circumstances, it should make no recommendation and communicates the basis for its determination to the shareholders with the amendment; and
(b) The shareholders entitled to vote on the amendment shall approve the amendment as provided in subsection (5) of this section.
(3) The proposing board of directors or the proposing shareholders may condition the effectiveness of the amendment on any basis.
(4) The corporation shall give notice, in accordance with section 7-107-105, to each shareholder entitled to vote on the amendment of the shareholders' meeting at which the amendment will be voted upon. The notice of the meeting shall state that the purpose, or one of the purposes, of the meeting is to consider the amendment, and the notice shall contain or be accompanied by a copy or a summary of the amendment.
(5) Unless articles 101 to 117 of this title (including the provisions of section 7-117-101(7)), the articles of incorporation, bylaws adopted by the shareholders, or the proposing board of directors or the proposing shareholders acting pursuant to subsection (3) of this section require a greater vote, the amendment shall be approved by the votes required by sections 7-107-206 and 7-107-207 by the voting groups entitled to vote on the amendment.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Commercial Law § 16-602 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/commercial-law/md-code-coml-sect-16-602/
Was this helpful?