Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Commercial Law § 11-109

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a)(1) The Attorney General shall institute proceedings in equity to prevent or restrain violations of § 11-103 of this subtitle and may require assistance from any State's Attorney for that purpose.

(2) In a proceeding under this section, the court shall determine whether a violation has been committed and enter any judgment or decree necessary to:

(i) Remove the effects of any violation it finds;  and

(ii) Prevent continuation or renewal of the violation in the future.

(b)(1) The United States, the State, and any political subdivision organized under the authority of the State is a person having standing to bring an action under this subsection.

(2) A person injured by a violation of § 11-103 of this subtitle may maintain an action for damages or for an injunction or both against any person who has committed the violation.

(3) If an injunction is issued, the complainant shall be awarded costs and reasonable attorney's fees.

(4) In an action for damages, if an injury due to a violation of § 11-103 of this subtitle is found, the person injured shall be awarded three times the amount of actual damages which results from the violation, with costs and reasonable attorney's fees.

(5) The Attorney General may bring an action on behalf of the State or any of its political subdivisions to recover the damages provided for by this subsection or any comparable provision of federal law.

(c)(1) An action brought to enforce this subtitle shall be commenced within four years after the cause of action accrues.

(2) For the purposes of this subsection, a cause of action for a continuing violation accrues at the time of the latest violation.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Commercial Law § 11-109 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard