Maryland Code, Business Regulation § 7-308
Search Code of Maryland
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Subject to the hearing provisions of § 7-309 of this subtitle, the Board may reprimand a licensee or suspend or revoke a license if the licensee or any owner, director, officer, member, partner, or agent of the licensee:
(1) makes any material misstatement in an application for a license;
(2) is convicted under the laws of the United States or of any state of:
(i) a felony; or
(ii) a misdemeanor that is directly related to the fitness and qualification of the person to engage in the collection agency business;
(3) in connection with the collection of any consumer claim:
(i) commits any fraud; or
(ii) engages in any illegal or dishonest activities;
(4) knowingly or negligently violates the Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act; or
(5) fails to comply with a lawful order that the Board passes under this title.
(b) If the Board finds that a ground for suspension or revocation of a license applies to more than 1 place of business that the licensee operates, the Board may act against:
(1) each license of the licensee; or
(2) only the licenses to which the ground applies.
(c) In determining whether to reprimand a licensee or to suspend or revoke a license for a reason described in subsection (a)(2) of this section, the Board shall consider:
(1) the nature of the crime;
(2) the relationship of the crime to the activities authorized by the license;
(3) with respect to a felony, the relevance of the conviction to the fitness and qualification of the licensee to engage in the collection agency business;
(4) the length of time since the conviction; and
(5) the behavior and activities of the licensee since the conviction.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Business Regulation § 7-308 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/business-regulation/md-code-bus-reg-sect-7-308/
Was this helpful?